Friday, October 17, 2014

'Sunny Southland Day' lap quilt

I got inspired (read "distracted") last Sunday night and started a new lap quilt when I found two Kate Spain (for Moda) 'Sunnyside' charm packs in my stash and just had to do something with them...ta-da!!

Quilting and binding are this weekend's jobs...
I got the idea for the block pattern from the Charm Packs board on my Pinterest page and it is inspired by the Meadow Mist Designs 'Looking Glass' quilt pattern.

When laying it out I tried just randomly putting down the blocks and then I also tried to group the blocks so that there was a sort of ombre pattern with similar colours together but I didn't really love the way the way it looked (I had really only randomly placed the charms together when sewing and had no real master plan).

So I left it for a night and when I had another look at it all I decided to break up the blocks with white sashings and I really love the way it has turned out..

This range is really gorgeous! 

Close up of the block pattern...

Linking up with Crazy Mom's Friday Night Finish - hi everyone!

8 comments:

  1. Lovely! I really like Sunnyside. What are the finished dimensions on this quilt? I'm always on the look for throw size quilts made with just a couple charm packs and some yardage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna, it is about 53" x 55". I have updated my post to include the link to the quilt that inspired the pattern. I added in the vertical sashing between the blocks and on the sides to make it bigger than the original idea. I didn't keep count but must have used about twelve strips of 2.5" each. So, two charm packs and about 30" of white solid. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. I love those oranges added into the quilt! They really add that bit of a pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! I just used what was in the charm packs, such gorgeous colours. I am just about to add a new post with the finished quilt...has been a gorgeously sunny Southland day here today...

      Delete
  3. Love this. Great fabrics plus a great layout=success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlotte! The only problem with making a last-minute gift is that I don't get to leave it hanging around here for long enough to really enjoy it, but I am sure my recipient will enjoy it for me!

      Delete
  4. Really cool quilt, I love the way you arranged the colors!

    ReplyDelete