Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Work in progress Wednesday #1 2015

Happy New Year to all my followers and to visitors from Lee's (Freshly Pieced) WIP Wednesday link-up!
And also to visitors from Kelly's Needle and Thread Thursday (at My Quilt Infatuation)! and those dropping by via Amanda Jean's Finish It Up Friday (Crazy Mom Quilts)!

It is the summer school holidays here in NZ and I am loving my 'definitely-no-school-work-for-at-least-three-weeks' break! From Christmas Eve until the second of January I enjoyed camping with my husband, son and cousins at Lake Te Anau; my favourite thing to do there is to read ( I busted through six books while there!), meaning that by the time I get back home I'm itching to use my free time to stitch!

Before Christmas I put together the rows for this 'Fancy' quilt, using the French General jelly roll that I got for Christmas in 2013...it is the Moda  Bake Shop 'Fancy' pattern by Keera Job of live.love.sew

And when I got back from camping I sewed the rows together. It now waits for the right backing.  














I then got straight into putting together these five Sugar & Spice fat quarters in a delicious aqua blue...

I was inspired by the crispness of this quilt that is on one of my Pinterest boards and put together a pattern (will post about that soon). The aqua reminds me of the cool clear water that we might crave for (to drink or to swim in) on a hot summer day, so I am calling the quilt 'Slice of Summer' as the block design reminds me of the layers in a baked slice...
I am just about to do a fat quarter practice sandwich (which will eventually become a large pillow) to practice FMQ of a large stipple, as I just want to do a soft quilting design on this so it stays nice and soft with the emphasis on the colour. 

Once the FMQ is done on Slice of Summer I will get stuck into putting these into a bit of a creation that I have got planned...

12 comments:

  1. Wow! Those quilts are both gorgeous – love the semi-scrappy effect of the first one, and the cool, crisp tones of the second – look forward to seeing what you’re going to create with the red and black fabrics as well  I lived in Southland from 1977 until 1993 (Invercargill and then Rimu), and go back for a brief visit each November – beautiful scenery and great people, always enjoy my visits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello ex-fellow Southlander! Thanks for your comments. I am glad you still come back each year, Southland is my favourite place in NZ but I grew up here so am totally biased!

      Delete
  2. I love your blue quilt - it's so fresh and summery (great for a British winter day).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jennie - it has certainly has a light and fresh aspect about it and it is nice to do a two-tone quilt for a bit of a change.

      Delete
  3. Both of these quilts are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've just started on the red/black one too, in between tidying up the garden!

      Delete
  4. Love the blues - they're quite dramatic! Will be interested to see how you finish these all off. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Taryn! I have quilted the aqua blue one and am just needing to hunt out the right binding as nothing in my stash is the right shade...have a good week!

      Delete
  5. Lovely quilts! I have some jelly rolls that need to be used. You have given me some ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to be of help! Have a good week!

      Delete
  6. Both quilt tops look great! And I absolutely love your fabric pull.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jasmine...have turned the red/black into two quilt tops this week (am hubby and child-free for the week, bliss!)

      Delete