Monday, January 1, 2024

Summer Sketch: Kowhai

Another project from the past couple of years, which hasn't yet been shared...this was my first attempt at the Aotearoa Quilters' Paint Chip Challenge for the 2022 NZ Quilt Symposium.

Entrants were each sent two paint chips to use as inspiration for the colour choices for a 12"square art quilt.


These were my two colours, and one day while walking the dog I noticed the colours of the flowers and seed-pods on a kowhai tree in a neighbour's garden. I really love the shape of the seed pods and the drop-petal shape of the flowers.

Here are photos of my design and make process - it was a good project for some thread-sketching.








I was pretty happy with my creation...until I re-read the rules and realised the piece had to have ONLY the two colours we were sent...therefore, no green!

So I went in search of a different inspiration and you can see what I came up with at this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment