Thursday, January 31, 2019

Starlings of Summer


My intention was that I wasn't going to make anything new in January and that I would just complete some UFOs and WIPs. Ha, ha, dreaming! (Anything to avoid doing school work...)
Actually, I decided to make a large lap quilt for my lovely, young workmate, Emma Diack,
to mark the occasion of her marriage to Phillip (Harvey) Norman.


I could not resist the challenge of trying out this pattern and trying to win 
a fat quarter bundle in the process and so I have made this Starling lap quilt 
after seeing a Fat Quarter Shop quiltalong on Instagram.
(AND, good news...I DID win a bundle, so excited!)





The pattern is called the Starling Quilt (can you see the birds in it?) and it is great for fat quarters - 
I used a bundle of Art Gallery Fabrics 'Imprint' collection that I have had in my stash for a couple of years and added some new yardage of the light grey print and the blue-black print.

Size: 52.5" square


For the backing I used two aqua prints from my stash (yay for stashbusting!) and I made a scrappy binding from leftovers of the fat quarters.





The pattern is super easy to follow and I had the top made and basted in one day, with a simple all over curved line pattern of quilting done with the walking foot (inspired by Jacquie Gering) 
all done the next day.




When making the starling blocks there were a lot of half triangle cut-offs that I decided to 
sew up with other scrappy leftovers from the fat quarters to make another quilt...
usually I would stuff them in a scrap bin until I 'get round to it' so I am feeling quite proud 
of myself for using them (and it is looking really cool - will reveal when finished!)

Hello to all my crafty visitors from Kelly's Needle and Thread Thursday linky party
and from Myra's Finished or Not Friday linky party - nice to 'see' you all!

9 comments:

  1. That is beautiful! I can't help but keep the little leftover half square triangles myself!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Alissa - my triangles jar was brimming over (and those trianlges are a lot smaller than the ones generated with this pattern) so instead of finding somewhere else to put them I decided to use them. Must get back to that and finish it off...

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Jenny, well done. Love your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyce. I am really loving how effective the quilting looks (and yet is so simple and easy to do) - must do more of this modern style, I really love it.

      Delete
  3. Great quilting on this, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your version!!! So gorgeous!!! The quilting and scrappy binding is perfect!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie! The recipient of it was really thrilled (she had admired my photos on FB and not realised I was making it for her.)

      Delete
  5. Linda Bryant3/27/2019

    Really interesting blog. Thanks for sharing your great ideas with us. I love your work.
    Art Kits

    ReplyDelete