Sunday, April 14, 2019

Summer Day - Lake Te Anau


So excited to share this wall-hanging - it has been selected by Aotearoa Quilters 
to be exhibited at the Ailsa Craig Quilt and Fiber Arts Festival in Ontario, Canada!

The sky is a blue poly-satin with a baby blue mesh overlay and
a couple of scraps of white netting.
I did not quilt it as wanted it to stay smooth like a clear summer sky.
I entered the wall-hanging in the 'New Zealand Through Our Eyes' challenge for Aotearoa Quilters. We had options of sizes/layout and I chose the 18" x 8' long option as I wanted to share a slice of the colours of my favourite part of NZ - Fiordland.

The forest on the mountain-side is made of roughly cut rectangles of various shades of muted greens to
represent the native beech forest that completely covers the hill-sides down to the western shore of the lake.
I free-motion quilted curves over the shapes with a thick quilting cotton to soften up the edges.
I had been pondering the theme of the challenge for a few months, but was pretty sure I wanted to showcase our landscape - this was confirmed for me while camping at Te Anau between Christmas and New Year...

The water is reverse-appliqued, using three layers of blue poly-satins or dress lining.
I quilted the ripples and then cut away some sections to reveal the darker colours.
This is really close to how the lake water looked as it moved on the day that we were crossing in the boat,
so I am super pleased with how it turned out!
...while in the boat as we crossed the lake one day, to go water-skiing at Brod Bay, 
I sat looking at the scene directly in front of me: lake, mountain, sky. 
I knew that was the scene I wanted to create in my wall-hanging.

Pre-trimming - all layers complete.




The wall-hanging was sent away at the end of January and exhibited at the Great NZ Quilt Show in Rotorua, before then heading to Canada. I look forward to seeing it again on 
show at the NZ Quilting Symposium in Auckland in October.

'Kia ora' to all my visitors via Kelly's Needle and Thread Thursday linky party!
Have a lovely Easter!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on having your quilt selected for the Ailsa Craig festival. What an honour! I really does remind me of Lake Te Anau. We went to Milford Sound in January, and as we travelled along beside Lake Te Anau it did look like this. It was a windy day and the lake was choppy. I look forward to seeing your quilt in person at Symposium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wendy! I did see you were tripping around the south recently; hope you had a lovely time. Thankfully we had good weather during our stay at Te Anau for our summer break so it was very enjoyable (apart from the massive head cold that I developed, sigh).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen, congrats on your quilt coming to see us in Canada. It sounds like a great show. Your quilt really is great :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andree! It's my first time 'showing' so I am super excited!

      Delete