Saturday, July 13, 2019

Matczyna miłość lap quilt (one of three)

Matczynz miłość (Mother's love) - photographed beside the Mataura Bridge, Southland, NZ (looking east)
 Last year I was fortunate to be given the fabric stash of the belated mother 
of an acquaintance from the town where I grew up. 

Linda wanted her mum's stash to go to someone who would appreciate it and make use of it.  
She is a friend of my cousin; as I was growing up, I knew Linda as one of  'the Tarasiewicz girls'.

We both lived on the east side of the Mataura River - I was north of the bridge, 
while the Tarasiewicz's lived to the south of it, near my granny and an aunt.

Among the fabrics Linda gave me were some patched blocks that Mrs Tarasiewicz had already prepared but not been able to complete into quilts before falling ill. 

I decided I would use some of the matching yardage in the stash, as well as some of my own stash and some purchased yardage to create a set of three lap quilts (Linda has two young adult daughters) to gift back to Linda as thanks for the fabric.


The first set of blocks were these red-sashed nine-patches.  
I added a wider grey sashing and a piano key border to make it a 49" square lap quilt, 
which I have called 'Matczyna miłość' (Mother's Love).
Linda's dad was Polish, so I used Polish words as the names for each quilt.


I used red cornerstones in the border; each one is quilted with a double heart.



The backing is made of leftover yardage and the binding is a red tone-on-tone print.


For quilting I used a large stipple inside each block, with wavy lines in the grey sashing. 


The piano key border is quilted with diagonal lines to make X's).


You can see the other two in the set at these links:    Wychowanie      Rodzina





It was an absolute pleasure to create these three quilts as a tribute to Mrs Tarasiewicz 
and to create family heirlooms for Linda and her daughters in her memory.


1 comment:

  1. As I scrolled to each of the quilts (from the Meet and Greet), I was surprised how different each was from the others. You did a wonderful job creating all three of them!

    ReplyDelete