Saturday, July 13, 2019

Rodzina lap quilt (three of three)

Rodzina (Family) - photographed on the Mataura Bridge, Southland, NZ (looking north-east)
Last year I was fortunate to be given the fabric stash of the belated mother 
of an acquaintance from the town where I grew up. 

Linda wanted her mum's stash to go to someone who would appreciate it and make use of it.  She is a friend of my cousin; as I was growing up, I knew Linda as one of  'the Tarasiewicz girls'.

We both lived on the east side of the Mataura River - I was north of the bridge, 
while the Tarasiewicz's lived to the south of it, near my granny and an aunt.

Among the fabrics Linda gave me were some patched blocks that Mrs Tarasiewicz had already prepared but not been able to complete into quilts before falling ill. 

I decided I would use some of the matching yardage in the stash, as well as some of my own stash and some purchased yardage to create a set of three lap quilts (Linda has two young adult daughters) to gift back to Linda as thanks for the fabric.


While one set of blocks in these red/white/black fabrics was set of nine-patches (see here),
there was also a set of wonky slash-and-sew style blocks -
some with red sashing to the left and some with red sashing to the right (as seen above/below).


They were rectangular in shape, so I added a piece of fabric to the side of each one
to make them into square blocks.

I then used blocks of the same wonky direction to create this lap quilt, which is 50" square.


Linda's dad was Polish, so I used Polish words as the names for each quilt.
Like its sister quilts Matczyna miłość and Wychowanie,
Rodzina has a wider grey sashing to separate the blocks.

The backing is pieced from leftover blocks and yardage.
It has a black tone-on-tone border and a black binding.



The quilting on this one took the longest as I used a variety of FMQ in different parts of the quilt: curly side-to-sides in the grey sashing and mini ones in the red centre sashing of the wonky blocks; echo straight lines within each triangular side of the wonky blocks, and random zigzag lines within the rectangular half of each block as well as the border.





It was an absolute pleasure to create these three quilts as a tribute to Mrs Tarasiewicz 
and to create family heirlooms for Linda and her daughters in her memory.




3 comments:

  1. I am a new follower. I love that you have taken her work and finished it for her family. What a lovely thing to do. Her family will treasure these quilts because they come with her love, and yours. The quilts are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Sue, nice to have you visit! Yes, when I saw some blocks in among the stash, I knew the least I could do was put them together somehow. Am pleased with how they all turned out.

      Delete
  2. What a great way to show your appreciation for the fabric stash that you received!!

    ReplyDelete