Sunday, July 4, 2021

Longtime Friend lap quilt

 


'Long-time Friend' is a 48.5"sq lap quilt, created as an 80th gift for a very dear family friend, Jean Neilson (who has not seemed to age at all in the last twenty years so it seems strange to think of her as having reached this milestone).


The weather was not great for photos (and my handy helper wasn't available for holding it up anyway) so I had to take some indoor photos before I wrapped it up to take to the celebration.


I used a layer cake and the four-at-once method for making half-square triangles (layer two squares RST, sew around the outside edges then cut in half diagonally in both directions).  Super quick! 

Then I simply had to arrange them in whatever layout I chose...I went with making a diamond pattern...


The layer cake was purchased earlier this year and features the Maureen Cracknell 'Homebody' range - beautiful deep navy, tans and peaches.






I quilted with curvy lines in each direction like a wonky checkerboard.


For the backing I used a cream fabric from my stash which has printed gold birds all over it.



Linking up with Kelly's Needle and Thread Thursday - kia ora, everyone!





5 comments:

  1. So simple and yet so beautiful! A lovely gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet quilt, I've been using a wonky grid lately for quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patchwork at its best! So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks wonderful! I love the colour combo, and the diamond setting is a very effective way to show off those pretty prints.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice quilt, your friend will be so pleased with this lovely gift. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete