Thursday, December 23, 2021

Take a Positive Direction

 

This is a 53"sq lap quilt, made from the Positive Direction pattern by Christa Watson at Christa Quilts.

I made it as a gift for a teaching work-mate, Kim Nicol, with the initial plan to make it at the end of  2021 to celebrate her success in being awarded a permanent position at our school; however, a few life circumstances meant I did not get around to making it until November, and it then has also become a farewell gift as Kim has moved on from our school.

Last year I heard Kim say how much she loves orange, so I made a note of it, and when I found this pattern in my collection, I grabbed what I could from my stash to create it.

When it came time to quilt it, I followed Christa's suggestion to do diagonal lines in the feature pluses, with pebbles in the grey background pluses...as I usually quickly regret deciding to do pebbles, I made sure to create quite large ones to fill the spaces more quickly.

The backing is made from leftovers of the front fabrics:


How is it that cats can sense when you have just laid out a quilt for basting?!?  Gizmo was nowhere to be seen when I first put this down, and then she turned up within seconds...



4 comments:

  1. I love this quilt Jenny, it's fabulous. Your quilting is a perfect complement to the quilt. Well done, and lucky Kim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyce - and Merry Christmas! Yes, I am thrilled with how it turned out. This week I hope to finish the 'leftovers' quilt (as I had a quite a few extra plusses that I didn't need).

      Delete
  2. Great finish, I love the orange and the quilting is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Karen - though about two minutes into the pebbles I remembered how much I really don't like doing pebbles, sigh, so made quite big ones to get it all done faster!

    ReplyDelete