Tuesday, September 3, 2019

2019 Quilter's Meet and Greet

2017: 100% NZ
Kia ora from New Zealand! 

Welcome to all my visitors from the 2019 Quilters' Meet and Greet 
being hosted at Benita Skinner's Creative Space during September.

I think I might possibly be the southern-most quilter to be invited to take part in this blog-hop, being a born and bred Southlander living in Edendale, New Zealand - not quite the bottom of the world but pretty close - I don't have penguins walking past me in the main street (but they can be found about an hour or so away from me on our south coast!)


I feel honoured to have been invited to take part - I am not a professional or commercial quilt-maker, and this blog began as a means for recording and sharing my home-made crafty creations.
I love to make quilts, pillows, the odd stuffed toy, wall-hangings or bags,
to name a few of the crafts I've dabbled in.

You can find other great quilters to check out at the official Quilters' Meet & Greet post -
be sure to have a good look as each blog you visit gives you an entry
to the Grand Prize Giveaway (being drawn on the first of October).

Make sure you have a good look around my blog; you might like to become a follower or to at least make a comment on anything in particular that catches your eye - I love hearing feedback as, with just my hubby and 18-year-old son living here with me, and being in small rural town a long way from any quilting clubs or guilds, getting feedback from like-minded quilters really helps boost my confidence. (My hubby and son make the right noises when I show them a finished project, but you know it's just not the same as hearing from other crafters who truly appreciate the work!)

2016: Triple Barn Star
I thought I would just share a handful of things about me - with quilts to match!

1. I love being a Kiwi! I have grown up and stayed here in Southland, with Fiordland National Park only a couple of hours' drive away - it is where many scenes for the Lord of the Rings movie series were filmed and I am lucky enough to spend my summer New Year holidays in Te Anau each year.

2019 - Summer Day (Lake TeAnau)
2. I have been a primary school teacher for 25 years; the past fifteen years have been spent teaching the 10-11 year olds at Edendale Primary (we have just seven teachers total, for about 160 children from 5-11yrs) - I simply love it; each day is different and the kids are awesome to work with).

2015: signature quilt for a retiring colleague
3. I think I have a fabric addiction! (But who reading this doesn't?) I love blue personally but that doesn't restrict me when it comes to quilting colour palettes; you name it, that colour will be in my stash somewhere!

2018: Allsorts for a Good Sort
4. I don't have a particular style (that I'm aware of anyway!) I will try modern designs as quickly as I'll try traditional (actually, upon looking over my quilts page, I think I might have a lean towards more modern styles).  Once I decide on a project, I usually have to bust it out from go-to-woah,
as I get so eager to see it all finished.

2017: Halfmoon Bay
5. I'm a Gemini! You'll see me comment on other blogs as Gemini Jen NZ. I think being a two-sided Gemini is part of the reason I can easily swap between colours, styles or types of project and why I love spending all week in the hustle and bustle of the classroom environment, but am equally happy seeing no-one at all on the weekend while I am in my sewing room.
Add in some chocolate to nibble on and I call that 'Jenny-heaven'!

2018: bunny pillows
So, thanks for stopping by; it has been nice to 'meet' you - be sure to click here for your entry into the prize-draw. There are some lovely items in the prizes; big thanks to all the sponsors and to Benita for organising it all.


Have a great Spring or Autumn (depending where you are in the world!)
It's all go here for daffodils, lambs, calves and baby birds...


53 comments:

  1. Jen, it was a treat seeing all your quilts. I especially like the Triple Barn Star. I'm heading over to read more about that and maybe put it on my list to make. I'll be following along on your journeys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Jan! I am looking forward to having a read of all the different blogs on the meet and greet - I'll be checking you out too! Have a good week!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jen. I enjoyed seeing your quilts and hearing about you and New Zealand. Fall is coming in my part of the world and so interesting that it's the opposite in the southern hemisphere. All your quilts are beautiful and it's not the first time I've admired your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Sheri! It has always fascinated me to think that the other half of the world is opposite to us in seasons; autumn is always beautiful with the change in the leaves.

      Delete
  3. I especially like your "Summer Day" quilt--and all your others--I like blue in quilts also.
    You live where there is some beautiful scenery!!
    barbkaup(at)(yahoo)(dot)(com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am certainly very lucky (and grateful to live here in Southland) - thanks for 'visiting'!

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed seeing the wide variety in your work - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie - I look forward to checking out all the blogs being shared too!

      Delete
  5. I love those blues. My favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out even better than I had hoped! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  6. Hello from across the Tasman Sea. I live near Sydney, Australia, so you're further to the south than me. Beautiful quilts, especially Half Moon Bay - love the colours and the design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day mate! Half Moon Bay was inspired by the style/work/tutorial of an Aussie resident quilter, so I am pleased you like it too. Have a great week!

      Delete
  7. Hi from the North Island Jen. I'm in Waiuku which is just south of Auckland and need to get back to blogging. Love your quilts esp Halfmoon Bay. It's a shame there are no quilting groups nearby for you. I'm heading south in a couple of weeks-have a brother who lives in Gore, sister coming over from Oz and we're all off to Fleetwood Mac in Dunedin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marlene! I hope you have a great time at FM - I went up at the end of last year to see Stevie in Dunedin - absolute magic!! Do get back into blogging - it is such a cool way to record and share what you've created.

      Delete
  8. I’m a curvy girl so I really really love your blue quilt. It’s beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Velda, I must make another curvy one soon - they look so cool! Am trying to use stash fabrics as much as I can, so will have to look and see what colour needs some using up. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  9. I love your bunny pillows! I rushed out the day I saw them and found the same yardage at our local shop. Unfortunately I have not been able to carve out time to work on them yet. But I will. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool! I'd love to see how they look when you get them done...such pretty colours!

      Delete
  10. Your Allsorts quilt certainly made me think of licorice allsorts candies. Several quilters from New Zealand came to Elsa Craig in Canada this year and they were all outstanding !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would so have loved to go to Canada for the EC too...my Summer Day wallhanging was in the NZ exhibit. I will get to see it on display at Auckland in October for NZ Symposium, so that will be exciting. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  11. You're work is fabulous. I am in love with the bunnies. The detail on them is wonderful. Thanks for inviting us over for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks to you for 'calling in'! Have a good weekend!

      Delete
  12. Hi Jen! It's so nice to meet you. I got a chance to visit mostly the north island a few years back when my niece was teaching in Sydney. We decided since we were flying that far that we should check out NZ as well. I fell in love with your country and would visit again in a heartbeat (Aukland was the cleanest big city, and Christchurch was just my favorite). Your quilts are gorgeous and they make me wonder why we don't use blue more often. Your Halfmoon Bay is so nice, and so is your Triple Barn Star. I'm glad I don't have to pick a favorite. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I totally recommend that next time you make it to NZ you should visit Fiordland, Southland and Otago -- and if you get time you could also pop over the strait to the actual Halfmoon Bay on Stewart Island! (And yes, impossible to pick a favourite quilt!)

      Delete
  13. It's nice to meet you through the hop, although I think I may have come across you in the past. Love your Barn Quilt and really love half moon bay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Halfmoon Bay is definitely proving popular - totally need to make another curvy quilt...just what colour to choose this time?? Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  14. Your quilts amazing but the bunnies will definitely steal the show. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well with all the other things you can add quilter. I too can do modern, traditional or whatever. I am sort of finding which techniques I like to do more and focus a bit more on that but you never know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always so much fun to try a different style - I am looking forward to my classes at the NZ Quilt Symposium in October as that's a good chance to dip the toes in the waters of something different!

      Delete
  16. Kia ora back to you! (Learned that from an online NZ quilting friend (in Christchurch).) Our media exposure to NZ has been the TV show 800 Words. :) We've been to Australia but not New Zealand (yet).
    Nice to meet you and see your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Nann - you totally need to have NZ on your bucket list - especially the bottom of the South Island! I did watch some of the first series of 800 Words - good fun! I can't say we get many (if any) Canadian shows on TV here, not that I am aware of anyway. I do love a good drama; The Gulf is showing on NZ TV at the moment and it is very good (NZ mystery/crime). Thanks for stopping by - ka kite! ("ka kee-tay" Good bye!)

      Delete
  17. I'm glad that you joined the Meet and Greet. I'm SEW in love with your quilts! Like you, judging by what you've shown, you definitely seem to lean toward modern quilting. Off to check out more of you work...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think you are right about the modern aspect. Thanks for visiting and enjoy looking around!

      Delete
  18. Beautiful quilts, have enjoyed seeing your projects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers for that Karrin; it has been lovely to have had so many new people checking out my blog. Have a nice weekend!

      Delete
  19. Loving the Halfmoon Bay quilt. I really need to have a go at curved piecing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curved is okay, just take your time and it is easier than you might think - do give it a go!

      Delete
  20. Your quilts are amazing and the bunny pillows are adorable. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much - yes I love those pillows (who can resist a cute bunny!)

      Delete
  21. Hi Jen! I know what you mean, I also have a hubby and 20 year old son who are trained to make appreciative noises when I hold my projects up for inspection! My son is also creative, but musically, still I think it can spill over into other kinds of craft. Sometimes if I am trying to decide on a border or color he will give me input. I love the triple barn star and the bunnies! Also half moon bay is like one of my recent makes-a Drunkard’s path in blue and yellow. Actually my son helped me decide on the border, a Ginny Breyer print. I am half a world away in New York State, USA and would love to visit New Zealand some day. I haven’t to date because of the long long flights involved. It’s on my bucket list. Thank you for sharing about you and your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Debby! Lovely to meet you. New York City is totally on my bucket list (very very different to where I live right now!) Yeah it is long flights - really want to be able to do everything/stay a long time once you get here to make the trip/cost worthwhile. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  22. Love your Triple Barn Star!!! and the Retirement one...loooooove blues too :) But those BUNNIES!! They are Adorable!! Thank you for sharing your beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers for that Lori - great to have you 'visiting'!

      Delete
  23. Hi from the other side of the Earth ;) I used to live in French Polynesia, not so far from your home. Great to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the NZ quilt (and all of the others too)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl! Now, if I could just work out where I've placed my cut up pieces for your Mosaic QAL...must be time to have a sewing room tidy up LOL!

      Delete
  25. The far south, one of the best places here in NZ. I am guessing we drove through Edendale in 1986, when we travelled down the west and up the east coast , leaving our home at Lake Tarawera in the hands of a couple from Ashburton. Family live at Winton, Waitahuna, Blenheim, and if we visit them next year, hope we can call and meet you.Great to see a fellow kiwi right here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy! Gosh a few things have changed since 1986 (and no doubt more than a few have not!) - It's a lovely, quiet way of life down here!

      Delete
  26. That Triple Barn Star quilt is a scroll-stopper! I sat and stared at it for awhile, just beautiful. You do wonderful work on all your quilts and projects. Thanks for sharing. I am relatively new to quilting, learning a lot from the meet and greet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you - yes I am very proud of that one. Such an effective pattern and so easy to put together!

      Delete
  27. How lovely meeting you, Jen! It is nice meeting another quilter who is not a professional - just a hobbyist, and that's fine by me! I am Jayne in the Meet and Greet, and I am finally getting to read through all the long list of participants. (I am a confirmed procrastinator!) Your quilts are just beautiful, and who doesn't love a blue quilt!!? They are among the very best!

    ReplyDelete