Friday, January 15, 2016

Blanche's Barnstar


Here is my first finish of 2016 and one of my goals for the 2016 Finish Along - a Triple Barnstar quilt (an Amy Gibson - Stitchery Dock - design).



It measures 72" square and for the backing I used leftovers of the main fabrics (and, this is becoming a feature, can you spot the photobomber cat?).

For the quilting of the points of the stars I used sets of three straight lines, following the shape of the triangles: 1/4" gaps for the smallest star, 1/2" gaps for the next size star, and 1" gaps for the largest star, and leaving the central area of each point un-quilted for softness:
In the central star's corner squares I stitched a star outline and repeated this on a larger scale for the outside corner blocks. The rest of those outer corner blocks were quilted with straight lines that cross-hatched on the interior corner.

For the white negative triangles and outer V-shape I used a loopy stipple to give some variety and softness in contrast to all the straight lines.

The binding is the geometric triangle print that was used on the front.


This quilt was 'commissioned' by my dad's sister, my Aunty Blanche, who wanted a quilt for her bedroom. She left it up to me to choose whatever colours or pattern I wanted but sent me a photo of the dark teal colour of her bedroom curtains.

Over the years of my life Blanche was the 'seamstress' for many of my important outfits (high school ball, college graduation and my wedding dress) so it has been a pleasure to return the favour and create this for her. Here it is 'in situ'...I am pleased to say she was absolutely delighted with it!

Linking up with Kelly's Needle and Thread Thursday party and Amanda Jean's Finish It Up Friday - kia ora everyone!

24 comments:

  1. Such a lovely quilt! The color palette is so soothing and I really like the variety of quilting. Also love your little photobomber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I am always amazed by how the cat knows to appear when I go out to take a photo! Thanks for visiting - I love the colour combo too.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your first finish of 2016. I love the colours and fabrics you have used, so striking together. Your quilting is very inspiring, straight lines but more! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Pam! I am still learning when it comes to fmq so all chances to practice help!

      Delete
  3. I love it! I had been wanting to make that pattern as well for quite some time and I did it last year as a wedding gift. http://hmm-well.blogspot.com/2015/10/finish-it-up-fridaya-wedding-to-remember.html You did a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such an easy pattern to use and makes such an effective quilt. Thanks for the commment.

      Delete
  4. This looks awesome! Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My aunt now has it and she loves it!

      Delete
  5. Another beauty, love this barn star pattern! Love all of your different quilting...wow, you did so much here! Great fabric choices, your Aunt will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Judy, I have just delivered it this morning and my aunt is really thrilled!

      Delete
  6. It looks awesome in Blanche's room! What a great pattern; I will have to go check it out. Stars are my favourite. Love the texture of your quilting. And the photo-bombing cat-I have one of those too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just what is it with cats and photos?!

      Delete
  7. It's beautiful. I love the colors and fabrics you chose, and the pattern. And I LOVE seeing the smile of Aunt Blanche.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always so nice to see a quilt being so wonderfully received!

      Delete
  8. Congrats on your finish! What a great start to a year! Looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the great colors and design!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you Gretchen, onto the next project now!

      Delete
  11. This is gorgeous! Love the design and the colours!! Thank you for participating in the Finish-A-Long, on behalf of the 2016 hosts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it is definitely a pattern I will be trying again.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful! Love the quilt and the recipient. She looks so happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a pleasure to make a quilt for someone else isn't it?

      Delete