Wednesday, February 29, 2012

2012 Free Motion Quilting Challenge Feb update

In my effort to learn new techniques this year I have signed up for this series of monthly tutorials based on free motion quilting organised by the SewCalGirl site.
I hope it will give me more ideas and skills to apply to my smaller creations.

Okay, found a darning foot that fits my machine and sorted out the tension problems my machine had at the end of January (I think it had been overused!) so have finally had a chance to give this fmq a go - I was able to test it out by doing the stippling on my Santa wallhanging.

JANUARY:
This month the tutorial is about using a leaf pattern and is taught by Frances Moore.



the back
FEBRUARY:
The feather tutorial was from Diane Gaudynski and is called "Echo Feather Plume" ... I have a bit more practice to do with this I think! (Hers had a more definite silver fern shape, they narrowed to a peak at the top, mine are the rounder versions!



the back



6 comments:

  1. Hello Jen,
    Your heart-shaped leaves and echo feathers really good. Your feather shapes are lovely. I really like the stem and echoing, sure looks like a feather to me. Bravo... well done. Are you going to join your sandwiches together to make a rag quilt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thankyou! Yes, I hope to make a bed-end runner for the summer time, in the rag style.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous3/01/2012

    Beautiful feathers - well shaped and rounded - great job!
    Pat in OR

    ReplyDelete
  3. That feather looks great. I am struggling to get a small block that is Ok to put on my blog, still trying and yesterday was the last day!!! Maybe I will have to take a photo of the lastest one, and hope it looks better on the blog than up close. The tutorials are a great motivator.Wonder what the March one is ?? Cheers from Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, you've reminded me, I must go have a look for the next tutorial - oh, will have to wait (it might be first of the month here in NZ but the USA will still be Feb, will have to wait until tomorrow!) Thanks for your comments - keep persevering with the feathers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job on that feather! Looks like you are on your way toward expanding your skills:)

    ReplyDelete