Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Arrows for Angus


Just another little something I've been whipping up in the past few weeks - was keen to get it delivered to handsome young Angus Hyde on my way to Christchurch this week...and stopped to snap my photos at the intersection of the road that the Hydes live on.


I based the quilt on this design that I had seen online and chose to use a variety of blues, 
with a light beige contrast solid. 


It measures 47" x 55" so is a good-sized lap quilt/small single bed quilt.
I quilted a 1/4" border around the triangles (technically 'flying geese' made with half 
square triangles) using a navy thread, then did a half inch border in beige thread around 
the outlines of the negative spaces for the large solid areas.


The backing is made from the binary code navy print that you can see at the top of the photo above.




And here's Angus with his quilt - he probably won't get much use out of it now 
until next winter (it was about 24 degrees C yesterday), 
but at least he's got it!



Linking up this week with Kelly's Needle and Thread Thursday - and my other favourite linky,
Crazy Mom Quilts' Finish It Up Friday - Hi everyone!

8 comments:

  1. The blues teamed with the white looks great. Great effect with the triangles as geese and the empty spaces. Looks like a very special quilt.
    Cheers, Karen
    http://sunburntquilts.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's beautiful! I like that you made the flying geese from HST. The binary code print is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks; that print was a good find at Spotlight, was just what I needed.

      Delete
  3. Love those blues! What a great quilt. I too like that you made your flying geese with HSTs and that binary print is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such an easy method for the HSTs (sew two squares together, slice into quarters). Will certainly do again.

      Delete
  4. Lucky Angus! And I love the highway traffic sign in your photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marla, I do hope he was pleased. And I knew that would be a nice, quiet corner to be able to take the photos at; is nice to get photos at a different location.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jen,
    I almost missed your link up from last week, but thought I'd better check it out! I love the quilt, and Angus looks like he loves it as well. All those blues look fab with the beige. You choice for photography is great - gives us an idea of the beautiful countryside. I visited NZ back in 2001 and just loved every minute of it. Christchurch was among my favorites. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete