Thursday, January 24, 2019

Country Favourites


This was a kitset which I must have purchased from an Australian quiltshop's website maybe 10 or 11 years ago (I'm not sure, but the copyright on the pattern says 2007). The shop was called In Stitches and the pattern is by Karyn Herbert www.butterflyquilts.com.au


The quilt is 44 x 52", with the blocks being 8.5".


It was a panel of the images along with yardage for the blocks. I can remember cutting it out and sewing it up at the time I received it, but then the top has sat in my UFO pile ever since (basically because I really don't like it LOL!) - so my New Year resolution was to get it quilted so I can give it away.



I've decided, in hindsight, that the golden yellow of the background fabric (which is what was supplied in the kit) is just too much (it is a lot darker than it looks in these photos) and it maybe would have all looked a lot nicer if the background had been more of a cream colour to help tone it all down.


For the quilting I did stitch in the ditch or echo quilting to outline the main shapes of the images; the pieced blocks just had simple criss-cross lines. 



The backing was pieced (at the time I first finished the top)
from leftovers plus some green that I had in my stash.
Anyway, it's finally finished, out of the pile of UFOs (of which there are now only two) and ready to find a new home with someone who will appreciate it - charity shop, here I come!



6 comments:

  1. Woot, woot! Way to finish a UFO!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So satisfying to make that pile smaller!

      Delete
  2. The quilting looks really nice, it's fun to quilt on panel sections. That's amazing that you only have two UFO's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee hee, usually once I start a project I can't rest until it is fully finished (though school work gets in the way to slow me down once the term starts up again!)

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you were able to finish this quilt even though you don't love it. I love the photos of it but might not like the real quilt if the cream is as dark as you say. It's sad to spend so much time and then have something you don't really like, isn't it? I'm working on a quilt now that I'm just not sure about. Maybe I'll love it when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess our tastes can change over time, or we might find our fabric/colour choices aren't as effective as we thought they might be when we first picked them. Never mind, am glad to have it completed and I am sure someone will make good use of it eventually.

      Delete