Monday, January 6, 2020

Sing in the Sun


'Sing in the Sun' is a 41" square lap quilt that I made in November/December of 2019 
as a good luck gift for one of my work-mates who is leaving us as (an awesome) Teacher Aide and heading off to teacher training in 2020.

(Yes, I am wearing a xmas-present headband - this photo was taken in the last week of school)
Belinda Knapp (on the left, me on the right) has such a beautiful, bubbly personality and has been teacher aiding for our school for the past few years. I first met Belinda through playgroup and netball club (our eldest children are the same age) and she has a heart of gold; I am sure she will be a brilliant teacher.

Because of her sunny personality, I thought a charm pack of 'Sing Your Song' by Annie Rowan, that had been in my stash for a few years, would be an ideal match as it has a range of pretty colours and floral or insect-themed prints.


I wanted to make a small lap quilt that Belinda can put over her legs when sitting up late at night doing her assignments, ha ha! The pattern is the same one that I used for the Hi There cot quilt (and when I find out what pattern it is, I will update the post!)


I used a rich blue marbled fabric for the border and a soft blue flannel on the backing, with a lemon yellow pinstripe for the binding... #smashthatstash 



I kept the quilting nice and simple through the centre blocks, just using in the ditch, but for the border I free-motioned some large flowers and echoed around them to fill the space.



The weather down here has been terrible for getting out for photos...it is supposed to be summer but I think since the start of November we've only had a handful of sunny, hot days (good excuse to be inside sewing though!)

Great to be sharing with my quilting friends via Wendy's Peacock Party , Kelly's Needle and Thread Thursday and Michelle's Beauties Pageant - make sure you check out the great work everyone 
has been doing by visiting those links too!

1 comment:

  1. Very sweet quilt. A lovely gift, sure to be treasured.

    ReplyDelete