Monday, January 3, 2022

Mataura Lad for Uncle John


 I finished this one up before Christmas so I could gift it to my Uncle, affectionately known to most people by both of his given names, John Malcolm. Uncle John had a life-changing stroke in 2020, meaning that he had to leave Mataura, the town he had lived in for all his life, to move into a rest-home in Gore. 


I used the walking foot to quilt it with wavy vertical lines, some intersecting, to represent the flow of the Mataura River that runs through the town.

Maroon and gold are the colours for Mataura sports and school teams, so I wanted to use them in a light lap quilt for him; I used a dark navy for the third colour. The rest-home is always well-heated, so I've only used a flannel as the batting.

On the backing I have appliqued Uncle John's initials (which were also my initials before I took my married surname) and used some leftover blocks. 

The quilt is the Zella pattern by Sarah Campbell, which is in issue #40 of Make Modern e-magazine and it measures 52"sq.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this one, the colours are so fresh and crisp.... a great finish and thoughtful gift for your Uncle.

    ReplyDelete