Thursday, January 5, 2023

Tea Roses - AQ Brown Challenge art quilt entry

Have been updating my 'maker's journal' with craft projects and cross-referencing with photos and blog posts - and have found a few projects from the past year that haven't been shared, so will get them here on record! 

In 2022 I entered the 'Brown Challenge' (12" block) held by the Aotearoa Quilters, for display at the NZ Quilt Symposium (and also travelling around the country).

I got my inspiration at the start of 2022 from one of my rose bushes, which has soft, mushroom-coloured petals, and decided to tea-dye some pale pink fat quarters and use them in a quilt-as-you-go kind of method to make roses.

My inspiration photo.

The dyed fabrics.

Here are some photos of the making process...


I made one large rose block, approx 8", then added smaller roses on the side and bottom, before then squaring it up into a 12" block.










Here it is on display at the Symposium in October 2022, plus some shots of the other quilts on display - I am always amazed by the wonderful ideas and interpretations people come up with and the talented way they sew them up!






No comments:

Post a Comment