Sunday, July 21, 2024

Ocean Squared


 This is a 60"sq lap quilt that I made in June for my cousin Helen Burgess on the occasion of her 60th birthday.  She and her hubby frequently stay at their crib (aka bach/holiday house) at Riverton on our southern coast so I thought the beach words print fabric that has been in my stash for a number of years was a good starting point for selecting the colours/fabrics.



The pattern was a Courthouse Steps block design in my to-do folder,
originally called 'Christmas Lights' by Linda Douglas
(ripped out of an Australian Patchwork & Quilting magazine,
so I am not sure of the year but it could be as long as ten years ago).

I used my Bernina Q20 longarm machine (on 10' studio frame)
 do some simple line quilting in the courthouse steps blocks,
and did a ribbon loop motif in the outside border.





The backing was made with the leftover solids and the beach words print.
We drove to Oreti Beach (about three minutes from home) for the photos.
If you walk around the entire bay you will eventually make it to Riverton!

It was a lovely Southland winter day, very mild, and Bess enjoyed a bit of a stroll too.


2 comments:

  1. I love your quilt. the colours are bright and fresh and just like the ocean .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ali, it turned out exactly how I had hoped it would!

      Delete