Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Pillowcase prizes x16

My nineteen Year Six pupils are working their way through a Happy Hundred reading challenge (aiming to read 100 chapters, which for some is easy-peasy but for others is definitely a challenge.) They've got until the end of the year, but some have already reached one hundred!
 For fifteen chapters they get a sticker pack, for thirty they get a chocolate bar, the prize for 45 chapters is a chapter book of their own to keep.  What to do for the 75 prize? I almost went to a fat quarter bag but figured the boys would not be quite so thrilled, so decided on pillowcases as I was in Spotlight and they had a lot of sale fabrics to choose from.  The 100 prize will be a giant rocky-road cupcake. 
My class is two-thirds boys, so I will have to keep an eye out for some more 'boy' fabrics; it's easy to get 'girlie'  fabrics, and the girls of course tend to be the more avid readers so most of them have already reached the 75. I've got a bit of time up my sleeve to make some more male-style pillowcases...
I love this Paris fabric!
And I bought three metres of this birdcage fabric - I can see a bag in the future as well as a quilt backing!
This 'world' fabric is cool too!
Hi to everyone visiting from Lee's Work in Progress Wednesday or Kelly's Needle and Thread Thursday or Amanda Jean's Finish It Up Friday!

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous9/13/2014

    What a great idea! I'm sure your readers will be delighted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I needed something quick and unisex. The kids are enjoying being able to choose their prize.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous9/14/2014

    What a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback - I get the most fun out of making items that I am giving away!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous9/15/2014

    I love this so much! I'm an avid reader and love that you encourage it in such a beautiful way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Reading for fun is such an important thing to encourage in children so I see it as my duty to do whatever I can to get my class reading!

      Delete
  4. That is such a good idea and such fun pillowcases!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the kids are enjoying receiving them!

      Delete
  5. That's such a lovely idea especially as it gives them something tangible as a reward for the challenge that they won't grow out of in the same way that they might age out of a storybook - and I love the Paris fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Carie! I found some around-the-world greetings fabric and some pirate skull fabric this past weekend, so can make a few more that might appeal to the boys (though they are being a bit slack about recording their reading on their forms so I think I have got plenty of time to get them made before I need them!)

      Delete
  6. Great idea - good luck with all the sewing and reading! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Taryn! Now that we have a two week school holiday break I am enjoying sewing for myself (my chain of pearls quilt is getting quilted) and doing my own reading - am onto my third book this week, bliss!

      Delete
  7. You've been very busy for a worthy cause, love it! My favourite is the birdcage pillow, but it's a scant decision because they all look so nice.
    (Three books in a week? - Wow, the green monster of envy is getting hold of me! ;-) )

    ReplyDelete