Saturday, May 30, 2015

Little Leap Frog baby quilt


2016: quilt donated to a fundraiser for local baby Henry McRae and his family - aiming to support them while Henry is a patient in Starship in Auckland.


I love the colours of this, so crisp and fresh!


Made from the Little Leap Frog pattern by Janeen Getz for Projects12.com, using fat quarters from Spotlight and a plain white solid, with a dotty black and white binding (for which I sewed on by machine, to try out Red Pepper Quilts' binding tutorial, which also takes reference from Crazy Mom Quilts' binding tutorial - very useful and easy to to if you want a quick way to get the binding on!)



The back has a green paisley and a black print - can you tell I made the backing as a super-sized version of the leap frog block from the front?

I quilted concentric squares in the leap frog blocks and a variety of free motion patterns in the print blocks - stippling, large pebbles, zigzags and random boxes, depending on the pattern of the print, using a variety of black, green, blue or white thread. 
It's a bit gloomy today, so the colours aren't as bright as in true life - you can see them better in other photos below from when it was being 'built'.  


This is my fourth finish from my to-do list for Adrianne's Finish Along for the second quarter of the year! Not too bad!! Am going to take advantage of the long weekend to get started on the fifth - a Christmas quilt.

And a big hello to any quilting visitors from Crazy Mom Quilts Finish It Up Friday or Kelly's Needle and Thread Thursday!


25 comments:

  1. Oooh, pretty! I love those bright colors! The backing is awesome, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari! Nice to have you stop by!

      Delete
  2. Love everything about this one, the fabric the pattern, the quilting! wtg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finish of a cheerful wee quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having a look Leeanne - I was pleased with how it all came together.

      Delete
  4. That is so fresh and lovely. I have been to the site and got the pattern. Thanks so much for sharing . I love it ! Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ali! Don't you love it when your fabric choices and a pattern come together so well?!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous5/30/2015

    Beautiful! Love the variety of quilting in the blocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback! I was just keeping myself entertained really!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful finish, Jen, and I really like your variety of quilting. While pebbling is fun, I wouldn't want to do a whole quilt with it. Nice job highlighting individual blocks.

    Julie @ Pink Doxies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! I know what you mean about pebbling, it is definitely just for small areas. It was nice to do the different designs after having done all those squares!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful work! Such a happy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely finish... such a bright & cheerful quilt! I like all the variety of quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I've kept to straight lines on the Xmas quilt I've made this weekend, but have quilted words in the border as something new to try - watch this space!

      Delete
  9. Love this color combo! Great finish definitely a happy quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Beth! Wait until you see the Christmas quilt I have made this weekend! It has happy colours too!

      Delete
  10. Cute!!!
    It is a nice quilt you made!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the colours in your quilt and the quilting is wonderful!
    *Visiting as a member of the official 2015 Finish-Along cheerleading squad.*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsten! It was fun to make!

      Delete
  12. It's lovely - I love the crisp white and green against the dark fence. What a great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy - I was just yesterday admiring it again in the pile of finished quilts in the spare room!

      Delete
  13. I also like these colors. And yes, I could tell that the backing was a super-sized block from the front. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete