Sunday, December 10, 2017

Summer top - a return to dress-making

Decided I should make use of my sewing machine to get back to making some of my own clothes (in an effort to get some shirts that fit the length of my torso rather than all stopping at my bellybutton).


It's been a couple of decades since I've made any clothes (and even then I didn't make very many) so I decided to start with a simple tank top. This will certainly be a good choice to add to the wardrobe as hopefully the last two (very hot) weeks are an indication of what to expect for the next two months or so!


Called into Spotlight during the week and got this Simplicity pattern at half-price and the lovely navy blue paisley rayon was 30% off  - it has made a great tank top as it feels light and cool.  

Was a bit worried about sewing with a 'slippery' fabric but I'm not trying to win Project Runway so a few crooked lines are no big deal and I think it has turned out pretty good.


It's a nice, easy pattern that probably took me only about two hours in total - I will definitely use this pattern again: I plan to try making a version with more of a scoop neck, as well as slightly wider shoulders and also will add another 2-3 inches onto the hems (I already added two inches when I cut this one out, but would still like to see a slightly longer top).

I have a pretty arrow-print poplin to try Top A with (with the detail at the back). I also have another gorgeous rayon covered in hummingbirds that I want to make into a blouse, so this was a practice run for sewing with rayon.  

2 comments:

  1. Your tank looks great! Blue looks good on you. Sewing for yourself is a great way to get a custom fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! Blue is my favourite...

      Delete