Sunday, November 20, 2022

Lily's Irish Family Chain


I only finished this quilt a couple of days before taking it to Hawkes' Bay to gift it to our great-niece, Lily, (top picture), and the weather was also not very nice up there for photos, so did not get any decent photos of the quilt.

Lily had asked for blues and purples; I raided my stash for those.

For the white solid I used a vintage white Egyptian cotton sheet from a single bed set that had been in my mum's glory box when we cleaned out her house in 2021; the single sheets were called ' the Finlay sheet' and made in Scotland by James Finlay and Co - I will get a photo of the label and add it here later.

I used the Irish chain pattern (from the Jenny Doan MSQ tutorial) and for the quilting I used my domestic Elna 200 to free-motion a stipple and large double flowers randomly all over the quilt (you can see one of the flowers here below, as well as the blue multi-floral print that I used for the backing, and the navy print binding.)


This is how the quilt top looked on the design wall before I took it down for quilting.

Finished quilt measured 66" x 76"

While in Hawkes' Bay I also gifted a quilt to one of Lily's sisters, Laura Joy (bottom part of the picture at the top of this post) - 'Springtime Mosaic' - one of my Meadow Mist mystery quiltalong quilts from 2019-2020. 

No comments:

Post a Comment