Monday, April 17, 2023

Squarosaurs quilt

This small twin bed quilt (or super large lap quilt) is a finish from the Easter holidays, and will be winging its way across the Tasman to become the new bed quilt in Brisbane for the son of one of my former pupils that I still keep in touch with!

His mum Leah requested something with animals or Pooh Bear, but nothing in my stash took my fancy (or I didn't have enough to make a twin quilt with it) - I found these cute dinosaurs at Spotlight and matched them up with some coordinating prints and solids.


The pattern is 'Scattered Squares' and is a free layer cake pattern on the Moda website, designed by Melanie from the A Bit of Scrap Stuff blog.

This version measures 47.5" x 56.5" - it was originally a bit too wide for my 5ft longarm frame, and I really wanted to quilt it on there, so I halved the blocks on each side and the ends and used a couple of those cut-offs for the backing.


I used ruler work to quilt straight line borders in the square-in-square blocks, and free motioned large stipple in the plain squares.



The binding is a sage green stripe.





We move house at the end of May and I am looking forward to having quite a few new quilt-photo locations in my backyard at the new house!

1 comment: